Guidelines on the Registration of Worker-On-Leave/Balik Manggagawa


1. Who is a Worker-on-leave or Balik-Manggagawa?

A worker-on-leave (WOL) or Balik-Manggagawa (BM) shall refer to an overseas Filipino Worker (OFW) who is on vacation or on leave and is returning to the same employer.

The following are also considered as WOL/BM :

• OFWs who will join / return to the same employer who has transferred to another jobsite;

• OFWs who have partially served their present employer;

• Undocumented OFWs (tourists, dependents, students, businessman) who became
OFWs and have partially served the same employer.

2. Who are not qualified to register as WOL/BM?
The following persons are not qualified to register as WOL/BM:

• Dependents of overseas workers

• Filipinos who are permanent residents of a foreign country. (They can avail of the privilege of travel tax exemption for balik-bayan by applying at the Philippine Tourism Authority)

• Overseas Filipino Workers (OFWs) who changed jobsite and whose contracts have not yet been served.

3. What does a WOL/BM need to do before going back to the jobsite?

A WOL/BM needs to register at POEA and secure a POEA travel exit clearance before leaving the Philippines.

4. What is a POEA travel exit clearance?

It is a clearance issued by POEA to OFWs who exit from the Philippines for employment purpose. OFWs with working visas/employment contracts will be allowed to leave the Philippines only if they have a POEA travel exit clearance which comes in the following forms:

a. Overseas Employment Certificate(OEC) – issued in the different POEA regional offices/regional extension units/satellite offices, POEA deputized OWWA Offices and Philippine Overseas Labor Offices. It is also issued during manual processing of BMs at the POEA Central Office.

b. E-receipt – issued for computerized processing at the POEA Central Office and POEA Regional Offices. It is an integrated receipt for payments of POEA, OWWA, and Philhealth fees.

c. Multiple Travel Exit Clearance(MTEC) The multiple travel exit clearance is a set of two or more clearances issued to a worker-on-leave/Balik manggagawa for use as an exit document within a period of twelve months from date of issuance.

It allows the worker-on-leave/balik manggagawa who exits from the Philippines more than once in a period of twelve months to secure his exit clearance on a one-time basis.

All overseas Filipino workers leaving on employment visa / work or equivalent document (such as no objection certificate [NOC], employment pass, gainful occupation permit, confirmation of the right to labor activity, work visa guaranty) shall be required to secure an exit clearance from the POEA or its deputized offices.

Filipino workers with overseas employment contracts but are issued visas other than work / employment (such as: business and visit visa) for the purpose of facilitating the mobilization, shall likewise be required to secure exit clearances from POEA or its deputized offices (POEA Advisory No. 15, series of 2005).

5. What are the uses of a POEA travel exit clearance?

a. It serves as travel exit pass for OFWs at the airports .

b. It serves as an exemption certificate from payment of Travel Tax and airport terminal fee upon
presentation to the airline counter and airport terminal fee counter;

c. It serves as a worker’s guarantee that he is covered by government protection and benefits; Pursuant to Section 35, Migrant Workers and Overseas Filipinos Act 1995 (Republic act 8042), OFWs shall be exempted from the payment of travel tax and airport terminal fee upon presentation of the POEA exit clearance.

6. How can a WOL/BM avail of the travel tax exemption?

A WOL/BM can avail of the travel tax exemption by presenting a copy of the POEA travel exit clearance to the airline company.

7. Where can a balik-mangagagawa secure a POEA travel exit clearance?

A worker-on-leave/Balik Manggagawa may secure a POEA exit clearance at the following offices:

a. Balik Manggagawa Processing Division (BMPD) Service Area, POEA, Blas F. Ople (BFO) Bldg.., Ortigas Avenue corner EDSA, Mandaluyong City.

b. POEA Regional Centers / Regional Extension Units (REUs) and Satellite Offices (please refer to the list below)

c. POEA-deputized OWWA Regional Offices and Units (please refer to list below)
d. Philippine Overseas Labor Offices (POLOs) in various Philippine Embassies and consulates abroad (please refer to list below)

e. One Way Delivery System (Dropbox) at the POEA Central Office Service Area

f. On-line two-way delivery application at website:

8. What is the on line (two-way ) application system for WOL/BM?

The on line (two-way) application system is a convenient and time-saving manner for the issuance of the POEA travel exit clearance. With the new on-line process, a balik manggagawa may visit the website, fill up and submit on-line the OFW information sheet and print said document. The printed information sheet has bar codes for easier uploading of information to the POEA database. The WOL/BM need not go to POEA for application of travel exit clearance.

9. How can I apply on line for my POEA travel exit clearance?

The procedure for on-line application for POEA travel exit clearance is as follows:
1. Log on to :;
2. Select the “Apply Now” button to accomplish the on line OFW information sheet;
3. Select the “Submit” button and print the OFW information sheet on two sheets of long bond paper;
4. Prepare photocopies of supporting documents as listed in page 2 of printed OFW info sheet (such as passport and visa);
5. Submit printed OFW info sheet, supporting documents and fees to any 2Go Branch/Aboitiz (nationwide);
6. Travel exit clearance (OEC) to be delivered to OFW. No need to go to POEA.
10. What is the one way – service delivery system (dropbox) for WOL/BM?

A BM walk-in applicant who do not want to go through the POEA queuing system may opt to avail of the one-way service delivery system. The BM submits the OFW Info sheet, photocopies of BM’s passport, visa, etc and prescribed fees to the Balikmanggagawa OEC Delivery Booth located at the Balikmanggagawa Processing Division, POEA, Blas F. Ople Bldg., Ortigas Ave. cor EDSA, City of Mandaluyong. The POEA travel exit clearance will be delivered to the BM/WOL right at their doorstep.

11. What are the documents needed to get a POEA exit clearance (e-receipt/OEC/MTEC)?

a. Valid passport;
b. Valid re-entry visa, work permit or any equivalent document;
c. Others:
– Any proof that OFW is returning to the same employer (such as : company ID, employment certificate, pay slip, etc). for WOL/BMs with newly issued documents and visas or if OFW has no record on file at POEA.

– Copy of employment contract (for MTEC issuance)

12. What are the fees in securing the POEA travel exit clearance? The prescribed fees are:

P 100.00 – POEA Processing Fee
P 900.00 – Philhealth Premium (payment valid for one year)
US$ 25.00 or its peso equivalent – OWWA Membership Fee (payment valid per contract duration at a maximum of 2 years)

A Worker-on-Leave with valid OWWA membership and Philhealth coverage shall only pay Php 100.00 for issuance of travel exit clearance.

Service fees for the one way delivery and two way delivery system is paid by the WOL/BM to the service provider.

13. How long will it take a WOL/BM to secure the POEA travel exit clearance?

a. Processing at the POEA Central Office takes a maximum of 20 minutes from the time the worker is called to present his documents to the POEA evaluator up to the time he is referred to the assessor and cashier for payment of the travel exit clearance; WOL/BMs are, advised that there is a queuing system because of the volume of BMs applying for the exit clearance at the POEA Central Office.

b. For the one way delivery system/dropbox, the processing of documents is done within the day. The exit clearance is delivered to the worker within 1-3 days depending on the delivery zone;

c. For the two way delivery system, provided that all documents are in order, the exit clearance is delivered to the applicant’s residence within three working days for Metro Manila residents and five working days for non-Metro Manila residents.

14. What is the validity period of the POEA travel exit clearance?

a. The e-receipt and OEC are valid for sixty (60) days from the date of issuance;
b. The MTEC is valid for use as an exit document with a period of twelve months from date of issuance.

15. In case of loss of the OEC/e-receipt/MTEC, can a WOL/BM apply for a replacement of the
lost POEA exit clearances?

No, there shall be no re-issuance for lost e-receipt / OEC/ MTEC. The respective processing units shall instead issue a certification of the particulars of the processed exit clearance or a certified true copy thereof. Said certification shall be presented to the Bureau of Immigration, Philippine Tourism Authority and Airport Terminal Fee counter for travel exit purpose.

16. What can a WOL/BM do if the POEA exit clearance has already expired before his date of departure?

An expired exit clearance shall be replaced upon submission of all the copies of the expired EReceipt/OEC and payment of processing fee of Php 100 for workers-on-leave. However, if the e-receipt / OEC have already been submitted to the Airline and the e-receipt / OEC numbers are already indicated in the airline ticket, the validity date shall be extended only up to the date of the confirmed flight.

17. Can dependents of OFWs or BMs avail of travel tax exemptions?

Dependents of OFWs can avail of the Reduced Travel Tax only if they are proceeding to the OFW’s jobsite. Dependents are qualified until their 21st birthday.

18. What are the requirements for reduced travel tax for dependents of OFWs?

a. Certified copy of POEA Travel Exit Clearance;
b. Passport of dependent;
c. Marriage contract;
d. Plane ticket;

19. Where can the certified copy of the POEA travel exit clearance be secured?

The certified copy of the POEA travel exit clearance may be secured from the POEA Records Division, BalikManggagawa Processing Division, Regional Offices, POLOs and other authorized Offices which issued the travel exit clearance of the BM.

20. What is the procedure to avail of reduced travel tax for OFW dependents?

• File all the requirements at the Philippine Tourism Authority for issuance of a Reduced Travel Tax Certificate (RTTC);
• If the plane ticket was purchased abroad, the requirements may be presented at the PTA, Airport or the PTA main office, with address at :

Philippine Tourism Authority (PTA)
Revenue Department, Travel Tax Division,
G/F 117. DOT Bldg., T.M. Kalaw, Manila.

21. What are the basic OFW documents that a WOL/BM should bring to the airport before departure from the Philippines:

a. Valid Passport
b. POEA Travel exit clearance (OEC/e-receipt/MTEC) which should be presented to the following:
• Airline check-in counter.
• Airport terminal fee counter to avail of the exemption from payment of terminal fee;
• Bureau of Immigration counter.

POEA Regional Centers / Regional Extension Units (REUs) and Satellite Offices:

2nd Floor, LZK-Zamboanga Bldg., Quezon Avenue
City of San Fernando, La Union
Telefax No. (072) 242-5608 / 700-4236

Benitez Court Compound, Magsaysay Avenue,
Baguio City
Telefax No. (074) 442-9478 / 445-4209

3rd Floor Sychangco Bldg., Bonifacio St.,
Tuguegarao City
Telefax (078) 844-3076

One Stop Clark Processing for OFW Claro M. Recto,
Fax No. (045) 893-4152

No. 4 Penthouse, Hectan Commercial Center,
Chipeco Avenue, Brgy. Halang, Calamba City
4027 Laguna
Telefax No. (049) 834-7974

Vista Al Mayon Compound, OWWA RU 5
Washington Drive, Legaspi City
Telefax No. (052) 820-4890

Mezzanine Floor, LDM Bldg. MJ Cuenco Avenue cor.
Legaspi St., Cebu City
Fax (032) 256-0435 / 412-2939 / 2949

2nd Floor, UTC Bldg., Araneta Alunan St.,
Singcang Bacolod City
Telefax No. (034) 434-7391

DOLE Compound, Trece Martirez, Tacloban City
Telefax No. (053) 321-7134

2nd Floor, AMYA II Bldg., Quimpo Blvd cor. Tulip O Drive
Ecoland, Davao City
Telefax No (082) 297-7429 / 297-7650

Ground Floor, Trinidad Bldg., Corrales Avenue
Cagayan de Oro City
Telefax No. (08822) 724-824

Unit 3 Dona Pura Bldg., Metrogate Corp.
Veterans Avenue, Zamboanga City
Telefax No. (062) 992-5523

Initiative for Tawi-Tawi Area Development Foundation Bldg.,
Old Housing Proj., Bongao , Tawi-Tawi
(062) 268-1309

64 thoughts on “Guidelines on the Registration of Worker-On-Leave/Balik Manggagawa

  1. Hello Sir Bong,

    Sir tanong ko lang po, kc po lumipat po ako sa ibang company d2 sa riyadh at legal po ung pag lipat ko kc binigyan po ako ng release ng dati ko pong company. Ang tanong ko po hinpo ba ako magkakaproblema pagkuha ko ng OEC. Kung may problema po pwede po ba huminge ng payo kung anung dapat ko pong gawin.

    Salamat po sir bong….


    • Kung dumaan na siya sa POEA bago umalis papuntang Dubai. Hindi na po kailangan pero kung hindi pa po siya dumaan sa POEA noong una niyang alis papuntang Dubai, dapat lang po na ipa authenticate ang kontrata.

  2. I am voicing this complaint because we just receive a memo from the Philippine Embassy in Bangkok that we need to submit all our valid documents (work visa, work contract, work permit,etc.) for authentication with the clinging 1.125 Baht/document. This is too much for us here.OFW in Thailand. Even our letters of invitation to our loved ones to visit us here needs there authentication for 1,125 Baht. We’re like milking cows here while our salaries are sometimes not enough to support our families. Is there anything we can do to avert this BURDENS passed to us. Maybe they can collect from the rich…NOT US poor OFW’s.

  3. I have been working in Thailand as an English Teacher…and in behalf of all OFW in THailand about the…”i will say abuse to us by our own Philippine Embassy in Bangkok” for they are implementing this so called unnecessary authentication of all our documents (e.g. visa, work permit, work contract..etc.) 1,125 Baht / document….our question is WHY? even letter of invitation to our loved ones to visit us here..needs their consent with 1,125 payment. This is too much for us earning a little money to support our families in the Philippines…

    Please…we are not rich and this is a very heavy burden to all of us here in Thailand.

    • Ben,

      This is too much for our OFWs in Thailand. I will bring this matter to the office of USEC Seguis at matanong na rin kung ang naipon na pera sa siingilan diyan sa Tahiland ay napunta ba sa kaban ng DFA.

      Thanks for sharing this info Ben.

      Ingat po kayo diyan.


      • Hello Bong,
        Good news…this 2012 our embassy here in Thailand have lowered their charges on all processing. For example the passport renewal from 2,250 baht to 2,100, authentications from 1,125 it lowered to 850 baht only and many more…
        Many thanks for your immediate assistance.


        WELCOME Ben. Huwag mag-atubiling sumulat sa ating blog!

  4. Good evening…kumuha po ako ng OEC nong april 2011, ngayon ay umuwi ako dahil meron po akong emergency case, ngayon pabalik na ulit ako ng KSA kailangan ko pa ba ulit kumuha ng OEC?

    • Allan,

      Kailangan pa rin dahil hahanapin sa immigration sa atin ang OEC pero ang mga nabayaran mo na good for 1 year na Philhealth, OWWA, etc. ay huwag mo ng bayaran but make sure you have your invoices pag punta mo sa POEA.


      • Sir,

        Tanong ko lang po.. Incase uuwi ako for vacation din hinde ko na ako babalik sa company ko ano po bah sanction yan? existing contract pa ako until Sept.2015 pero lets see vacation ako before the expiration of my contract. pero tapos na po ako 2years. Renew lang ID ko pero hinde contract ko..Please advise naman po.. salamant

        • Dahil po pumayag kayo na magbakasyon instead of final exit sa kabila na tapos na ang una nyong kontrata, ibig pong sabihin non ni-renew nyo na po ang inyong kontrata for the same or similar period. Kung hind kayo babalik nilabag po ninyo ang napagkasunduan, therefore your employer has the right to report the issue to the authorities and might cite a previous resolution issued in 1975 and 1977, which imposes a three-year ban on expat workers to return to the Kingdom in violation of their contracts.

  5. Good day..

    Ask lang poh,Saudi ang asawa ko at ang yaya poh ng anak nmin ay pinsan ko bale Employer nya ang asawa ko..Nong kinuha namin sya sa Pinas last year dahil gahol na sa oras pinalakad na lang poh namin sa Agency ang lahat pati ang Kontrata nya at nakaalis naman poh sya..ang problema ay pauwi kami para magbakasyon ngayong November pero nag-aalala kami kasi baka di na sya makabalik dahil wala syang hawak na kontrata..Baka di sya bigyan ng OEC..

    Ano poh ba ang dapat namin gawin?Kailangan ba naming magpunta ng consulate para mag-aplay ng kontrata for her?O hindi naman hinahanap ang kontrata pag kumuha ng OEC?

    Pls help..U can email me to:

    Thanks and more power to your blog..


    • Gladys,

      Hinahanap po ng POEA ang kontrata upang mabigyan ng OEC ang inyong kasama sa bahay. Mas mabuti pa na before kayo magbakasyon, pasyalan muna ang Consulate natin upang malaman ang requirements. Mas maganda kung sa POLO/OWWA na rin ayosin ang kanyang OEC.


  6. hi sir.. can i ask something?? ano po ang mga documents or requirements ang kailangan ng mga ofw like me na mgbbakasyon sa pinas na nag-change employer,pra makakuha ng OEC?..please inform me po kasi d2 me sa cayman islands and planning to have a vacation this year..mraming salamat po… joy-ann

    • Joy,

      Kung nag change ka ng employer, a new contract is a must and bring all your previous documentations from your former employer. Pagdating mo sa Pinas, the first thing you do is to visit POEA para hindi ka na mag-isip at wala ka ng aayosin pa at maka pag enjoy ka sa iyong vacation.

      Good luck!


  7. Hello sir Bong,

    Salamat sa mga advise mo malaking tulong talaga ang blog mo..

    Sir, regarding don sa pagpunta sa Abu Dhabi yong isa namin kasamahan nag resign din pareho kami ng company dito sa Dammam airport siya dumaan at young final exit at visit visa lang daw ang hinahanap at nakapunta siya ng Abu Dhabi.

    Gusto ko lang i confirm if totoo po ba ito..kasi andun na siya sa Abu Dhabi new employer.

    Salamat ulit sir bong…god bless…

    • Ger,


      Gaya ng sabi ko, puwede itong mangyari kung dadaan ka sa UAE Embassy at dala ang requirement na galing sa employer na pinapayagan nila itong dadaan sa UAE at sinisiguro ko rin na ang UAE Embassy ay mag require ng flight ticket (KSA-UAE-PHL) bilang assurance na bibisita lamang ito sa UAE bago ito ma isyohan ng visit visa.


  8. Hello sir Bong,

    Good to see this are such a big help to all OFW in the middle east.

    In my case, I’m in Saudi Arabia for 2.5 years now…under open contract. Dumating ako dito sa Saudi galing bakasyon June 24,2011…almost 1 month napo..Naka reseb ako ng job offer from Abu Dhabi, tinanggap ko at on process na ang aking employment visa sa UAE..Tanong ko lang po:

    1. Kong mag resign ako dito sa Saudi at binigyan ako nga exit visa, pwede ho ba akong dumeretso sa Abu Dhabi gamit ang employment visa? Tapos duon ko na i process yong residence visa daw.

    2. Sir Bong pag-uwi ko ng Pilipinas from Abu Dhabi..normal process lang ba ako sa POEA for OEC kasi iba na ang employer or from the start ulit gaya ng Namehire procedure.

    Salamat sir Bong…more power and god bless

    • Gary,

      Hindi puwede kasi ang working visa mo sa KSA ay one way lang po from the country of origin to country of destination and VICE VERSA. Ito ang gawin mo pumunta ka sa UAE embassy dito sa Saudi ARabia at tanongin mo kung ano ang gagawin para makatawid from KSA to Abu Dhabi. Im sure he will ask a clearance from your employer here in KSA.

      Ano ang ibig sabihin mo sa employment visa, ang pagkakaalam ko, walang employment visa sa UAE kundi visit visa at pag nandoon kana, ang employer mo ang mag asikaso ng iyong dokumento para magkaroon ka ng working or residence visa.

      Dadaan ka sa proseso at kailangan makita ng POEA ang iyong kontrata bago ka magkaroon ng OEC.


      • Dear Sir Bong,
        Puwedi po ba akong maka kuha ng OEC/BM sa Airport during my departure? wala na po kasing akong oras.

        Waiting for prompt reply sir.

        Best regards,

        • Ang pagkakaalam ko, ang OFW Lounge sa airport ay para lamang po sa pag inspeksyon ng OEC sa mga departing OFW. Kaya dapat lamang po na bigyna mo ng isang araw ang pag-asikaso nito. Ang lahat po ng probinsya ay may nakatalagang regional or satellite offices ng POEA at OWWA upang pagsilbihan ang ating mga kahanay sa pag secure ng OEC. alamin mo po kung saang lokasyon ito makikita sa inoyng lugar o probinsya.

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s